Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2022

See the difference

*See the difference*


*a/an/ one*

*Use 'one' when the number is important; when you want to emphasize that it is only one (and not two or three or more):*

e.g. One of these eggs is rotten, but the others are OK. 

e.g. I wanted to buy three CDs, but I didn't have enough money, so I bought only one.

*In all other cases, when the fact of being "one" is not important, use a /an:*

e.g. I had an omelet for breakfast. 

e.g. I bought a new CD yesterday.

*What about the difference between 'a' and 'an'?* 

*We use 'an' before words beginning with a vowel sound, and 'a' before all other words:*

an apple/a banana an ice cream cone/ a piece of cake

an egg / a carrot an omelet/ a steak

an umbrella / a uniform.

*(Here "uniform" is pronounced yuniform)* 

an hour/a hat

*(we use 'an' with 'hour' because the 'H' in 'hour' is silent, but the 'H' in 'hat' is not)*





*Enjoy learning*

No comments:

Post a Comment