Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Proverbs.

Learn proverbs 

1) Beat around the bush or Beat about the bush

*Meaning:* If you beat around the bush, or beat about the bush, you don't say something directly, usually because you don't want to upset the person you're talking to.

*e.g.* I had trouble telling Pedro he'd lost his job. I started beating around the bush and talking about one door closing and another door opening. 

*e.g.* Stop beating about the bush. Just tell me what's happened!

*2) You can’t judge a book by its cover’*

*Meaning:*  Do not judge someone or something based solely on appearance.

*e.g.* “I thought this no-brand bread would be horrible; turns out you can’t judge a book by its cover.”

*3) To hit the nail on the head’*

*Meaning:* To describe exactly what is causing a situation or problem.

*e.g.* “He hit the nail on the head when he said this company needs more HR support.”

*4) To kill two birds with one stone’* 

*Meaning:*  To solve two problems at once.

*e.g.* “By taking my dad on holiday, I killed two birds with one stone. I got to go away but also spend time with him.”

*5) Sell like hot cakes*

*Meaning:* Things that sell like hot cakes sell quickly or in large quantities.

*e.g.* "She's a very successful author. Her books always sell like hot cakes."


Enjoy learning
Prof. Tushar Chavan

No comments:

Post a Comment